Update: February 5th, 2020 - I received a response from the FDOT concerning the below Public Records Request. They said that approximately 4,500 (that is about 225 deaths per year) Records matched the Search Criteria. They said I would need to pay them $7,700.00 in order for them to tell me the details of the Fatal Accidents. It does not seam very ethical for the FDOT to charge so much money to release the names of Pedestrians who have been killed attempting to cross Mid-Block Crosswalks that are in violation of Federal Safety Standards.
I have submitted a new Request asking for only the details of Fatalities at Unmarked / Uncontrolled Mid-Block Crosswalks on Multiple Lane Roads with an AADT of over 40,000 and a speed limit of 45mph or above.
January 13th, 2020
A Public Records Request is hereby submitted concerning fatalities at Florida's Mid-Block Crosswalks on Multiple Lane Roads with Speed Limits of 40mph and above. Please provide the below requested information.
at Mid-Block Crosswalks
on Multiple Lane Roads
with Speed Limits of 40mph or Above
2000 - 2019
1. Date of Fatal Accident
5. Location of MId-Block Crosswalk
6. Date Mid-Block Crosswalk was installed:
7. Speed Limit (at location of accident)
8. AADT (at location of accident)
9. Markings (unmarked, or marked by lines in road)
10. Signage (Was there a Pedestrian Crossing Sign? yes or no)
11. Controls (Was there a push button control? (If yes, type of control for example Flashing Yellow Light, Flashing Red Light, or Red Stop Light)
12. Was there a Prior Fatality at this specific location? If yes, list same information as above.
13. Comments: Has the Crosswalk been removed? Has changes been implemented to the Crosswalk (such as adding a Push Button Red Light) since the Fatal Accident?
||MPH Speed Limit
||Busch BLVD, Tampa
||Del Mabry Blvd, Tampa
||Jessica & Lillia Raubenolt||Female
||24 & 21
||Bay Shore Blvd, Tampa
||A1A, Satellite Beach
||push button flashing yellow
||West Tennessee Ave.,
||push button flashing red
Regarding your request for Public Records No. P016723-011420, “fatalities at Florida’s mid-block crosswalks.” A search for records that may be responsive to your request returned approximately 4,500 records. These records will need to be reviewed in order to ensure they do not contain any exempt or confidential information. The cost associated with this review process is approximately $7,700. (see Section 119.07(4)(d), Florida Statutes). We can begin the review process upon payment. Alternatively, if you prefer, you can narrow the parameters of your search request for more specific records.
Please let me know how you would like to move forward.
Assistant General Counsel
Florida Department of Transportation
605 Suwannee Street, MS 58
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0458
Phone: (850) 414-5270
Fax: (850) 414-5264E-mail: Daniel.email@example.com.